How to Choose the Best SEO API (Free and Paid)
Table of Content
Introduction to How to Choose the Best SEO API (Free and Paid)
You need to leverage lots of data to grow a website by SEO. These data include link-building status reports, lead-tracking, and more information that allows you to gauge your site’s performance. Unfortunately, having different tools for them can be costly and inefficient.
That’s where SEO APIs (application programming interfaces) enter the picture. By connecting to vast databases of already-gathered SEO information, they simplify and speed up the data collection process for you.
However, not all APIs are created equal. Some might provide you with inaccurate data or offer limited scopes. There are even APIs that access illegally obtained information, which can expose you to legal risks. Conducting a proper API evaluation is, therefore, crucial before using and paying for one.
How to Choose the Right SEO API for Your Needs
When finding SEO APIs, make sure that they align with your business needs. Consider these factors in SEO API selection.
Paid SEO APIs often provide better results compared to their free counterparts. Expect to see more comprehensive information and advanced API features. Compare prices from different SEO APIs and choose the one that suits your budget best in the long run.
Speed and volume request capacity
SEO trends change very quickly, so ensure that your API can retrieve them on time. To keep your data up-to-date, you might also need to create lots of requests. This highlights the importance of selecting one that can handle the number of requests you’ll make.
Moreover, you’ll need to increase the amount of data you’re analyzing as your website grows. Scalable APIs with a high volume request capacity can accommodate such growth.
Your SEO API needs to have the ability to retrieve data within specific timeframes. This way, you get access to the latest data or find important information from certain time points.
Documentation and support
SEO APIs shouldn’t be hard to integrate into your current strategy. Clear documentation makes them easier to use and avoids compatibility issues. This also reduces the time it takes for you to get used to its features.
API documentation allows for smoother customization, too. This way, you can tailor it to fit your current needs for SEO data.
The Best SEO APIs Available Today
There could be thousands of SEO APIs on the web, but here are three of the top SEO APIs you can use today.
Google Search Console API
One of the most popular SEO-specialized APIs today, the Google Search Console API offers the following features:
- Search analytics API: This allows you to check your site’s performance on Google Search. You’ll see data for average ranking and click rate.
- URL inspection API: You can use it to get information about Google's indexed version of a specific page. It also allows users to test whether a URL might be indexable (making it visible in search results).
- Sites API: It allows you to manage your sites, adjust permission levels, and other access-related functionality.
- Sitemaps API: This lets you access information like download time, warnings, and processing status of your sitemaps.
The best thing about Google Search Console API? It’s free!
Bishopi API is a paid tool—or more appropriately, a suite of five different domain-specialized tools. Here’s a list of what it generally offers:
- Domain SEO analysis: It allows you to do domain comparisons, which helps you identify your competitor’s strategies in search engine optimization. This happens by leveraging data on keyword difficulty, traffic value, URL keywords, domain authority, and many more!
- SERP API: This provides information on how your websites are doing on search engine results pages, as well as how your competitors fare. You can use such data to form strategies to outrank them.
- Backlinks API: Look for and evaluate backlink profiles to use for your website. With the right backlinks, you can boost your website’s ranking.
Bishopi offers a 7-day free trial for its API tools, while many of its domain backordering tools are available for unpaid use.
If you’re looking for APIs specializing in link data, consider Moz API. It specializes in the following:
- URL anchor texts and link tracking
- Metrics like domain and brand authority
You can access Moz API for free—up to 2,500 rows per month. Meanwhile, it also has flexible pricing options, separated according to your search volume.
Ahrefs API is a must-have for SEO pros but watch out for the price tag – it's on the higher side. Here's what you get:
Backlink Data: Like a detective's tool, it lets you sneak a peek at anyone's backlink profile. Great for sizing up the competition.
Keyword Research: It's your SEO crystal ball – find out which keywords are winners and which are duds.
The catch? Ahrefs API can be pretty pricey. It's a fantastic tool with lots of features, but make sure it fits your budget before diving in.
Free vs. Paid SEO APIs
Deciding whether to use free or paid SEO APIs boils down to finding the balance between cost and value. Both options are great—depending on what you’re looking for in an SEO API.
Free SEO APIs offer you a good, but limited, entry point for SEO insights.
They offer the essential functions you need, including keyword research, backlink analysis, and website audits. They also allow you to learn about SEO and experiment with API integration without heavy risks.
However, understand that you can only access limited data, which can hinder your SEO analysis. The speed and performance can also be sub-par compared to paid tools.
Paid SEO APIs let you access vast datasets and advanced features.
When you need larger scopes of keywords, competitors, and backlinks for a deeper analysis, paid SEO APIs are better. Data is constantly updated too, ensuring you work with the latest information for accurate decision-making.
More sophisticated features, such as rank tracking, competitor analysis, and other technical SEO aspects only become available when you pay. Many paid APIs also offer flexible pricing plans, allowing you to scale your usage as your needs and budget grow.
Security and Privacy Considerations in SEO APIs
Data security and privacy can actually influence SEO. Among the top websites, you will notice that they have a good reputation, lack intrusive pop-ups, respect user privacy, and use an encrypted connection (HTTPS). Search engines like Google reward such websites and penalize those that do otherwise.
Here are a few issues that you can prevent when using a secure SEO API.
- Compliance issues. Secure APIs follow regulations like GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act). These ensure responsible data handling and protect user privacy.
- Problems with API integration. Those with good API security make for data integrity and accuracy. This helps prevent errors or inconsistencies that could arise from integration.
- Data breaches. You use APIs to connect services and transfer data. If they get hacked by malicious attackers, data breaches can occur. Aside from the legal consequences, such leakages can damage your website’s reputation.
So, how do you choose a secure SEO API? Consider the following tips.
- Find a trustworthy provider. There’s no guarantee that the APIs provided by companies like Google won’t be hacked, but they do have established and robust security policies already set up. Check their track record and privacy compliance.
- Certifications. Look for independent security audits and certifications as they indicate a provider’s commitment to safety. Also, verify that the provider offers clear documentation on data handling practices and provides users with control over their data.
- Choose one with strong authentication. Opt for SEO APIs with multi-factor authentication and robust password policies.
Future Trends in SEO APIs
So, what are some important SEO API trends that you should know and leverage?
Focus on User Control
Users will have more control over the data that they share, as well as their privacy preferences. As such, you can expect that APIs that access content through illegal means might provide worse results.
Using SEO APIs from trustworthy providers also becomes more important. This ensures that you keep your SEO data collection secure and compliant.
AI-Powered SEO Insights and Predictions
SEO APIs like Bishopi automate repetitive tasks, such as backlink analysis and competitor monitoring, for you. This helps free up resources for higher-level tasks crucial for developing a better SEO strategy.
Many SEO APIs now offer deeper keyword research and predictive analysis for various domains and websites. They also learn from your data and user behavior. This way, the data you retrieve through them are automatically adjusted to your SEO tactics in real time.
Answer Engine Optimization
AEO (answer engine optimization) is also an important trend when it comes to user search. This is due to the rise of generative AI, such as Google SGE, Microsoft Copilot, and more. When enabled, they provide AI-powered summaries of the search results in the form of a snippet.
AEO introduces the risk of zero-click searches—users won’t open any link at all from the search results. With reduced website visits, SEO APIs might have a harder time tracking user engagement metrics like clicks and visitor count.
💡 Ultimate Solution for Domain and SERP Analysis
We have a comprehensive article on this very subject, which explains quite in detail which metrics bishopi's api offers and what the benefits are.
SEO APIs take off a huge chunk of manual work when it comes to gathering domain-related data. By leveraging such API tools, you can perform domain analysis, competitor checks, and backlink profilings more quickly.
However, whether or not it can really help you depends on proper SEO API selection. When choosing one, keep in mind that it’s not just about faster data collection—it’s also about ensuring up-to-date information and turning it into capitalizable insights. AI-powered SEO APIs like Bishopi can help with that.
What factors should I consider when choosing an SEO API?
When choosing an SEO API, consider its pricing, performance, timestamping capabilities, and documentation. Ideally, select one with good documentation and support, offers flexible subscription plans, and can handle relatively huge amounts of API requests.
How do free SEO APIs differ from paid ones?
Free SEO APIs provide necessary features like keyword research, backlink analysis, and similar functions but on a limited scale. Paid SEO APIs let you use advanced options like competitor analysis and ranking status updates, in addition to access to wider datasets.